Saturday, June 28, 2014

Moving



If you know me, then you probably know that I'm always moving. I think its safe to say that I have a very hard time staying in one place for too long. I get antsy and bored rather quickly. Around 6 months into a lease, I'm already thinking about my next home and planning out my new bedroom. I haven't quite figured out why exactly this is, but for the time being, I don't see a problem with it.
 
I moved out right after my high school graduation, and since then, I've lived in 4 apartments and 1 house. Its been an experience, to say the least. I've had to learn a lot of lessons about independence. Some good, some bad. All very necessary.
         
Personally, I think that anyone who is able to, should move as often as possible. Despite the inconvenience of physically moving, its always been a very therapeutic experience for me. First and foremost, it’s a chance to de-clutter and throw out all of the shit you've collected since you moved in. You're forced to get rid of anything that's unnecessary. And its a great opportunity to revamp your closet.

You also get the joy that comes with a change of scenery. That is definitely my favorite part. You get to redecorate, reorganize and wake up to a different set of walls. You get to change up your daily routine.

Plus, after moving to a new area of town, you have to get used to the neighborhood. You get to try out new bars, restaurants and coffee shops. There are new parks to hang out in and tiny thrift stores you haven't been to yet! Moving into the right area can sometimes help you fall in love with your hometown all over again.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, you get a fresh start. Or at least you FEEL like you get a fresh start. To me, its very similar to the feeling I used to get on the first day of school. If you're like me, you'd probably take the summer to "reinvent yourself". Then you'd show up on the first day in a new outfit, with a new hair cut, making promises to yourself that THIS year would be different. Vowing that from this point on you'd be more productive, considerate, better dressed and always on top of your shit. This is my mindset when moving into a new place. It may seem silly to you, but it works for me.

About a week ago I moved from Citrus Park to Downtown Tampa with my best friend Harrison. This has been hands down the best move I’ve made so far. However, it was surprisingly difficult to leave our old apartment behind. I know Harrison would agree with me in saying that this as the first placed either of us have lived in since high school that felt like HOME. It felt warm, safe and comfortable. We spent the best year of our lives in that apartment and it holds so many memories. I loved living there. But, when it came time for our lease to end, we decided an upgrade was needed. At the risk of sounding incredibly lame, this is our “grown up apartment”.

Below are some photos of the details in my new bedroom. There are still a few things I’d like to do to finish it up, one being a DIY headboard made of bricks, an idea I got from my friend Shantel, but you get the gist. If you see anything you like, chances are it’s either from Ikea or Urban Outfitters. However, a lot of my decorations are antiques I’ve collected from random places over the years. I have my parents to thank for my love of anything old that has a story.

We haven’t finished our living room or kitchen yet, but I will most likely post photos of all of that when we’re done! All of these photos we’re taken by Harrison Ponce. You should check out his amazing photography work on his new instagram, @harrison_ponce.


                        XO, Dani Kye


















No comments:

Post a Comment